Saturday 5 November 2011

A sunny Saturday...

Had such a nice day off today so far. Poor Tom has to work all weekend so he got up for work around 7:30 while I stayed in bed and snoozed until 11 - even I was surprised, normally the light through the blinds makes it near enough impossible to carry on sleeping. I needed to get some bits and bobs from town for a moussaka I'm cooking today for some friends so once I realised how late it was I got up straight away and headed in to town. It's such a beautiful, crisp autumn day that it's hard not to feel cheerful. Plus market day in town is always bustling and it's so good to live somewhere where there are always people out and about on the weekend, doing their weekly shop, or heaven forbid Christmas shopping (don't get me started), bumping into friends, or just relaxing with a tea or coffee in one of the many cafes in town. I dropped off some post, and followed the sound of brass band music into the centre of town towards the market.

I haven't bought food from a market probably since I lived in France so it felt really nice to be doing it again, and hearing the banter of the stall holders trying to sell their peppers and courgettes, as well as some other produce that I didn't recognise. I like the idea of supporting the market, as although supermarkets are convenient, sometimes the produce isn't all that good quality, and I prefer to go to independent shops when I can. There's been a campaign to 'Keep Our Town Special' over the last few years to try and fend off Tescos and other big developments, which I think are definitely taking place now which is a shame.  I know there are plans to rejuvenate the market hall, so hopefully that will keep people coming.

After browsing the stalls for a while, I paid for and was handed my aubergines in the obligatory blue market-stall bag and headed over to the speciality cook shop. This is another of my favourite places in town. I love just wondering around, checking out the colourful and sugary cake decorating stuff (a diabetic's worst nightmare), drooling over the shelves and shelves of Bridgewater, Denby, and Portmeirion crockery, playing with the bendy silicon cookware (silicone pastry brushes in particular always make me smile with their neon greens, oranges, pinks, and blues, and their silly tentacle-like 'bristles') and watching the flat screen TV displays advertising the latest cooking gadgets. Part of me chuckles inwardly at the over-engineered crap that people buy these days, (banana holders are one of my top sources of amusement), and part of me wishes I could afford to fill my kitchen with precisely that crap.

After finding what I came for (measuring spoons, not very exciting I'm afraid. Until I can afford to part with the cash for a hand-blender, I doubt I'll ever spend much in the shop), I popped around the corner to Sainsbury's to find the spices I needed for the moussaka and a few toilettries, and then once that was sorted I went in search of a coffee. Once again I followed the sound of cheerful brass music and stumbled upon a group of 4 blokes playing trumpets, saxaphones, and accordions. It took me a little while to figure it out but they were playing a dancey version of the 'Winner Takes it All' by Abba. An old gent in a pale yellow shirt and his wife were watching from the street across from them and the husband was stamping his foot energetically in time to the beat on the little stereo the musicians had brought with them. This amused me so much I had to text my Mum to tell her (she loves Abba) and I distracted myself to the point of walking completely past the turning I needed for the coffee shop I wanted.

Normally I go to Booka, which is a lovely book shop which also serves tea, coffee and a selection of yummy cakes, but I wanted to try some of the other cafes as they all look really nice. Up on the same street as the market I could see cafe Aroma which was already pretty full with a fair few groups sitting outside, so I carried on up to Radio Cafe which looked really nice and last time I walked past it had a really delicious looking food menu. As I didn't want food I wasn't sure if they were going to be funny about me just having a coffee outside, but the board said they did the best coffee in town so I went in anyway. The walls are adorned with a few stylish pieces, and to my delight they had the Financial Times Life & Arts supplement.

I don't normally read newspapers that often, but I used to read the FT quite a lot while I was studying management at uni and they do have really interesting articles. I asked the young lad at the counter if I could have a coffee outside and they offered to bring it to me which I wasn't expecting. The gentleman who had greeted me as I entered brought me my coffee and I sat for a very pleasant half an hour or so reading the paper in the sunshine, listening to music from one of the pubs, and watching people go by. Reading the weekend paper reminds me of being a student, as me and my friends used to go to Pembroke College every now and then for Sunday brunch, and they always had a good selection of papers.

Eventually the same guy who'd brought me my coffee came out to collect my empty cup and said I could stay and read in the sun as long as I wanted, which was really nice but I wondered if I was being a bit cheeky just ordering coffee, and as I wanted to get back and start cooking I thought I'd better relinquish my seat and headed home.

Speaking of cooking I'd better make a start on the moussaka!

Bye for now! x

No comments:

Post a Comment