Saturday 15 October 2011

Cheap Pad Thai Noodles & Mushrooms recipe

Hi again,
I was in the middle of writing a new post, when I realised it was waaay past lunchtime and I should fix something for myself. I've gotten into bad habits lately and have not been cooking much from scratch so wanted to get back into it and try something new, but also something quick that wouldn't leave me with an ever growing hole in my stomach. So I turned to a favourite book "Simple Suppers" (Ed. Gina Steer) that was a housewarming gift from my friend Adz (he's possibly the only one who reads my blogs so thanks Adz!). After flicking through the meat sections absently, I decided I couldn't be bothered to defrost any meat, so given we had a huge amount of mushrooms in the fridge that needed eating, plus my mother had just given me some ready to wok noodles she wasn't going to eat, I chose the Pad Thai Noodles with Mushrooms recipe.

Now I need to make this clear from the off, I didn't have all the same ingredients as the recipe so this is a slightly different but probably cheaper version of the book recipe, that can be made with stuff you will probably have lying around in cupboards so shouldn't have to go out and buy extra just for the one meal. The original recipe was for four people but I adapted it to make a large dish for one, or two smaller snack portions. It might not actually be Pad Thai now I've adapted it but it certainly is tasty!

Ingredients
150g ready to wok noodles
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled, finely chopped
1 medium egg, lightly beaten
140g mushrooms, washed & stalks removed (the original recipe used shiitake, oyster, field, brown & wild mushrooms, but I just used Aldi's basic £1 a box mushrooms!)
1 carrot, grated
5 tsp lime juice (lemon juice in original)
1 1/2 tbsp rich soy sauce (original used Thai fish sauce - this is where I imagine the biggest difference between the two recipes is)
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsb cayenne pepper
1/2 to 2/3 large white onion, roughly chopped (original used 2 spring onions)
1 dessertspoon crunchy peanut butter (original used chopped peanuts to garnish so I probably used too much peanut butter time, but it was still nice)

Method.

Heat a wok or large frying pan. Add the oil and garlic. Fry until just golden (I overdid mine just a bit but still worked out ok). Add the egg and stir quickly to break it up.

Cook for a few seconds before adding the noodles and mushrooms. I also added the grated carrot at this stage. Scrape down the sides of the pan to ensure it all mixes with the egg and garlic.

Add the lime juice, soy sauce, cayenne pepper (it's small but mighty - I wasn't expecting much of a kick from such a small amount, but it was definitely enough!), sugar, and the onions (next time I will most likely add this in at the same stage as the mushrooms), stirring quickly all the time. At this point I added in the peanut butter which was very thick so needed a fair bit of mixing and stirring to get it thoroughly mixed in with the rest of the food. Again it might be better to add this in at an earlier stage, but I think it turned out pretty nicely as a first attempt :)

Cook over a high heat for a further 2 - 3 minutes until everything is heated through.

Turn on to a plate and munch away!

It didn't look much like the original picture in the book but I've enjoyed it so far!




No comments:

Post a Comment