Monday 30 January 2012

First day at new job!

First of all, thanks to everyone who wished me luck with the new job which started today! My first day went really well. Everyone was really friendly and helpful, and they'd got all sorts of stuff prepared for me which I wasn't expecting. And I managed to get started on analysing some Marketing data for them which has been really useful for getting to grips with the kinds of customers we mostly deal with. I'm amazed by how much I remember from my old Quantitative Methods sessions at uni (well not from the lectures, they were less than useless, but the textbook was great!).

Even though it's only a fixed term contract, I'm feeling really positive and excited about this job. From the sounds of things there's going to be a lot of variety in what I do in terms of the Marketing for the book business and I get quite a lot of responsibility for individual projects as well which will be really helpful for learning lots about the industry. Plus I get to use my language skills; one of the first things they asked me to do was translate a couple of sentences they needed for some packaging, which wasn't hard and only took a couple of minutes, but I'm sad and really love translating.

They've also asked me if I want to be involved in some other multilingual tasks in the future (I'm not really sure how much I'm allowed to say, so best be cautious), which is quite exciting and gives me the opportunity to practice my German as well.

Don't mean to gush, but I'm really, really happy I got this opportunity. I've even enjoyed spending time this evening learning about XML for the job - I never would have thought in a million years I'd enjoy learning a computer language, but life's a funny thing!

To celebrate the new start, I decided to crack open a special bar of chocolate I've been saving since Christmas.

The Chocolate Library - clever AND delicious!
Bye for now!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment